Tuesday, 5 April 2016

My Pregnancy....

Conception


I'm not going to go into THAT kind of detail, I'm sure we all know how babies are made.
Getting pregnant wasn't as easy as I had thought it was going to be. Turns out, for us women, every year that you get older, the harder it becomes to fall pregnant. I'm lucky in the sense that I didn't have to go through anything crazy like hormones or IVF, but I did actually have to follow my ovulation schedule and MAKE SURE that we were trying EVERYDAY through that week. Yes, you only get one week out of the month for a baby to be made. That blew my mind.

So, when my little app told me to I took a pregnancy test, and it was positive!
I was so excited, but I had always had an idea to surprise my husband with a sonogram, so I kept it to myself and mad a doctor's appointment to have a blood test and have it all confirmed. The only person I told was my sister, who was traveling through Greece at the time, so I gave her a call to tell her she was going to be an Auntie. This was 4 weeks gestation. I had a long way to go.

1st Trimester


Luckily, I am not a vomiter, but for the first 12 weeks I wished I was. I was nauseous ALL. THE. TIME. When I could, I would eat anything that I thought might calm my stomach, otherwise I didn't eat much.
And through this time I still hadn't told my husband that I was pregnant as I was waiting for my first scan. Turns out, I'm really bad at organising surprises. At 9 weeks, after FINALLY recovering from a horrible cold that had me bed ridden for a week, my husband and I were having some "alone time" when I felt like I'd wet myself..... something I'd never felt during sex before, and I looked down and just saw blood everywhere. So naturally I freaked out. Put us both in the shower to wash off. My poor husband was just so confused. I admitted to him that I thought I might be having a miscarriage and that I was actually pregnant.
SURPRISE!
So off we went to the emergency room, as soon as we went up to the counter and the triage nurse started asking question I started balling in the middle of the waiting room, super awkward.
After seeing the nurse and doctor (after a few hours of waiting), having had felt no pain they "assumed" that I had just passed a blot clot that was just dislodge during our bedroom activities.
The next morning we went back to the hospital to get a scan to confirm that everything was ok.
After a few tense moment we saw the little nugget and confirmed that all was well.
A big, shaky, sigh of relief was had by all.

2nd Trimester


Telling the parents....

Technically I think we told our families just before the 12 weeks was up, but anyways.
We had dinner with my family first, that's just the way that worked out, and my mother cried. She has been hounding me for a few years now for a grandchild, plus a few wines in she had no control really.
My mum is terrible at keeping secrets. I mean, hopeless. So even though we said she couldn't tell anyone until we were ready and had told enough close friends & family before we went ahead and put it on Facebook (what did we do without Facebook), she told one of her close. But that didn't matter 'cause her friend had told her a secret too [facepalm].
When will I learn.

The nausea finally subsided, but then the back pain kicked in. Awesome.
I am not a skinny girl, so when I started to show with an actual solid bump (not just my usual flabby belly) I was a bit chuffed.
During this time we went on a road trip with my mum and dad to Alice Springs for the Road Transport Hall of Fame 2015. Boy was that fun. (Please note the sarcasm).
We decided to go a different route this year (I had previously gone with my parents 5 years beforehand), and went through Broken Hill and then along the Oodnadatta Track, which is a whole lotta dirt roads. A week of traveling in a car.... not recommended for a pregnant woman. The whole week we stayed in Alice I didn't do a lot of anything besides sleeping and just being horizontal in a non-bouncy bed.
Once home I saw a chiropractor on a weekly basis until I got into my third trimester.
I went and had my first appointment with a midwife as I had decided to go through the public system. Due to my BMI I was sent off to clinic at the hospital to be seen by the OBGYN's there. Not what I wanted really as I'd rather had been seen by the midwife through my pregnancy as the doctors are only ever present for your birth for the end anyways, so whats the point. Went for my glucose test and found out I had gestational diabetes. Fuck.
Not that his is completely detrimental to me or the baby, but its a lot a faffing about for 4 months.... and its a long 4 months with having to test your blood 4 times a day and then I had to have insulin before bed and go see the specialist every 2 weeks. Which was only ever on a Thursday, and I do payroll on a Thursday, so it was all bloody annoying, inconvenient, frustrating, uncomfortable and sometimes painful. You do what you must for the health of your baby, but that doesn't mean its not a fucking pain in the arse. ESPECIALLY when your entire life is spent watching your weight, and when your pregnant your allowed to indulge. This was the most strict diet I had ever been on!
R.I.P Peppermint Magnums :(

Oh and we did a reveal video if you wanted to actually see that.

Third Trimester


As he got bigger, the acid reflux got worse, to the point I finally caved and in asked for mediation, the OB felt quite sorry for upon examination as he was right up under my ribs, lying down was uncomfortable. Sitting was uncomfortable. Standing was uncomfortable. I wish I was taller.
I just didn't like being pregnant.
I couldn't wait for him to get out.
I kept telling everyone I wanted him out by 35weeks as he was threatening to be a big diabetes baby.

Got my wish.
At 34 weeks + 6 days  I woke up at 6:30am to go to the toilet, as soon as I stood up I wet myself. Waters had broken. I jumped in the shower, got myself dressed, as everyone that I had ever spoken to had said that you always have time after your waters break, which of course is always different for everyone. But I wasn't having contractions so I wasn't worried.  I went upstairs (we were staying with mum & dad while our place was being fumigated), woke mum up with a "I think my waters have broken", she freaked out, I told her to calm down and take her time. On the way into the hospital I called ahead to ask where to go (I still hadn't managed to have a tour of the hospital yet). I text my husband to tell him to go to our place to get my hospital bag and then meet us there.
Waddled into Labour & Delivery, they gave me an examination and basically said I wasn't leaving for the next 2 weeks.....

I'll fill you in on the rest of my hospital stay in the next blog.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment